Elegant Dog Grooming Service
 
 

TIPS & INFORMATION

CHOCOLATE AND TREATS


The following information has been provided by: Reservoir Veterinary Clinic

Chocolate and Treats - not for pets!

For chocolate and treat lovers, Easter is a time of indulgence that can result in a few extra inches on the hips. However, even a small amount of treats to some cats and dogs can be devastating. As well as a high fat content, chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine. These two stimulates, affect the central nervous system and the heart muscle, as well as urination frequency.

How much chocolate is toxic?
It depends on the type of chocolate and the weight of your pet. White chocolate has the least amount of stimulants and dark chocolate has the highest, of which cooking or baking chocolate will cause the most severe poisoning.

A lethal dose of theobromine is 80-200mg/kg, cooking or baking chocolate has 14.1mg/gram of theobromine, dark chocolate has 5.3mg/gram, milk chocolate has 1.4mg/gram, and white chocolate has very little real chocolate in it. A large amount of white chocolate will need to be consumed to cause toxic poison signs.

How long will it take before my pet shows the signs of chocolate poisoning?
Between 30 minutes to 3 hours.

What signs do I look out for?
vomiting
diarrhoea
increased urination
restlessness
hyperactivity
muscle twitching
and in severe cases or where left untreated seizures.

What should I do if I suspect poisoning?
The sooner you seek help the better off your pet will be. Seek veterinarian attention immediately.